In 1899, Rev. M.D. Bowers led a small group of Baptists to gather for worship in the old Methodist church building in Pocahontas, Arkansas. This was the rough beginning of First Baptist Church. It was not until 1900 that Rev. R.C. Medaris led the believers into the formal organization of the church as a Southern Baptist body.
The church continued to prosper and worshipped in her original building which was constructed in 1901. In 1948, the original church building burned after a morning worship service. The present sanctuary was already under construction and was opened in the fall of 1949. In 1962, the educational wing was opened. Since 1994 our church offices have been housed in the former parsonage at 511 West Church Street. In 2005 a new fellowship hall (with plenty of room for Awana games) and educational building was completed.
First Baptist Church has had a historic relationship with Williams Baptist College. During the time Dr. H.E. Williams was our pastor, he had the dream of a Baptist college for Northeast Arkansas and Southeast Missouri. The vision was caught by others, and on June 10, 1941, the College had its birth. Williams Baptist College, then known as Southern Baptist College, was first located on the present site of Pocahontas High School. Following the purchase of an Air Base property near Walnut Ridge, the college moved to its present location. We consider it both a joy and honor to partner with the work of Williams Baptist.
The First Baptist Church of Pocahontas looks with expectation towards the coming days of work. It is our belief that God has placed us here to share the love of Christ as we journey together. It has never been buildings or milestones that have made First Baptist Church special, though. It has been the presence of the Holy Spirit within the hearts of her members.